We are looking for an EXPERIENCED proofreader for non-fiction book manuscripts (motivational/business category) in English. Must be deadline-conscious, goal-oriented, resourceful and creative.
• Check spelling, capitalization, punctuation, grammar, sentence structure.
• Make sure that names of people, places and organizations are spelled properly and that facts, dates and statistics are accurate. This may involve contacting writers' sources and conducting online research.
• Create a page layout that consists of the placement of articles, photographs and advertisements.
• Code manuscripts for design features, such as the hierarchy of headings.
• Create artwork briefs to detail the content of illustrations.
• Ensure that illustrations are correctly captioned and referred to in the text.
• Ensure consistency in hyphenation, capitalization, formatting of references, etc.
• Sub-edit text written by a number of authors to ensure consistent house style.
• Discuss and resolve any potentially libelous sections with the author.
• Identify plagiarized content and copyright images.
• Communicate with the author to make recommendations, provide updates and follow up on any requirements.
Ideal Skills and Qualifications:
English Proofreading, English Grammar, English Punctuation
A combination of training and/or experience in proofreading book manuscripts
Familiarity with existing house styles is an advantage.
Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills
Proven ability to effectively prioritize tasks
Ability to exercise good judgment, initiative, and proactiveness
High standards of ethics and confidentiality to handle sensitive information – extremely important
Flexible and open to working in a 24x7 work environment (The primary schedule is 8AM to 5PM MNL but you must be flexible.)